Bonjour my honeymooners! Who doesn’t love fondue cheese and chocolate? Switzerland is the perfect country to spend your honeymoon: romantic, cozy, culinary and very cultural. Depends on the time of the year you plan your trip you can experience chili weather / snow / sun. I was there in October during autumn and it was PERFECT! It was warm enough to have dinner outside and the crowds of tourist were almost gone. Here is a picture of me in front of the beautiful: “Lake Geneva”
Quick facts about the country:
- Continent: Europe
- Type of country: Democracy – not part of the European Union
- Capital City: Bern
- Languages: German, French, Italian and Romansh
- Religion: 71% Christians
- Currency: Swiss Francs (1CHF – 1.02USD$)
- Tipping: service charge is always included, if you wish to leave additional tip you may do so
- Visa required: Most of the country don’t buy you may want to check if your country needs one before traveling
- Taxes: prices quoted usually have the VAT included (7.6% for restaurants + 3.6% hotel rooms)
Featured property of the week: Fairmont Le Montreux Palace
Overall Sparks Honeymoon Property Rating: 10/10
The Brand: Fairmont Hotels & Resorts (Canadian brand) also part of the Leading Hotels of the World and the Swiss Deluxe Hotels.
The Hotel: 5 star Classic Luxury Hotel with 202 rooms & 34 suites, opened in 1,906.
The Location: Montreux, Switzerland right in front of the beautiful Lake Geneva.
The Room: For honeymoon we recommend the Signature Lake View Suite. It is absolute perfection! The best feature about this room is the view from the lake and the Alps from the balcony.
Rates: ask for Sparks Honeymoons special rates
The Food: They have 5 dinning options to choose from. A premier grill location, a cafe/restaurant, two bars and a lounge to have a morning coffee or a champagne glass in the evening. All great options to choose from. They also have the room services 24 hours available.
Loyalty Program: Fairmont President’s Club – Please make sure to give your number at check in. Otherwise sign for free to receive benefits such as: airlines miles, complimentary room or suite upgrades, complimentary Internet access, spa discounts, others.
Charity Program: Yes they do! The hotel collaborates with the organization “Les cartons du cœur”, whose mission is to collect non-perishable food from donors in order to meet the needs of families and people affected by poverty in the canton of Vaud. The donations thus enable the association to continue its mission every day. Here’s the link of the organization: http://www.cartons-du-coeur.ch/
Why we love this property for honeymooners:
- The view is AMAZING! Lake Geneva and Alps. (So romantic!)
- Location: Most of the room have a panoramic view. Also Montreux it’s ideal because is such a small city where you can find everything: culture, food, music and the of course the Swiss charm.
- The Spa: What’s best than a spa day when you just got married? They have outdoor and indoors pools, relaxing rooms, sauna, Turkish bath and a wide variety of facial and body treatments.
- Amenity for honeymooners: the delicious heart shaped cake left the first night they do your turn down service.
- Best months to visit: Summer weather – between May and early October / Cold/Snow weather – end of December and early March.
- If you arrive by train, do as I did, walk to the hotel. It’s only 5 minutes away and you get the chance to see the surroundings. But if you arrive at night make sure to grab a taxi or book a taxi at the concierge of the hotel.
- If you wish to book a spa treatment or a romantic dinner while in the hotel please visit their e-boutique: http://montreux-palace.secretbox.fr/en2
- For the sleeping beauties: breakfast serves until 10:30 daily.
- They have an outside beautiful pool! it’s on the lower side of property next to the public walkaway. It has a beautiful view of the lake as well.
- FYI – the hotel is a family hotel.
What to do in Montreux during your honeymoon:
- Glacier 3000: personally I LOVE extreme and outdoor activities so this place is AMAZING for extreme honeymooners! It’s a 50 minute drive from the hotel and you can go during summer or winter. During summer you can: go hiking, walk on the suspension bride Peak Walk by Tissot, tour with snow boat, the Alpine Coaster (amazing ride), among others. During winter you can: ski, snowboard, ride the Alpine Coaster, ride the Snow Bus, do the Dogsled ride, slide in the fun area or do the glacier flight. This place is a different way to spend a day in Switzerland. Official website: http://glacier3000.ch/en
- MUST: if you love Swiss chocolate then you have to visit the famous Maison Cailler Chocolate Factory for a memorable gastronomical adventure. It’s only 30 minutes away from the hotel and it’s a very nice experience for you to share as a couple: https://www.cailler.ch/en/maison-cailler/la-chocolaterie-suisse/
- Romantic walk by the lake is a MUST as well. Sunset is lovely and truly amazing!
- Take an excursion by boat from Montreux boat dock (8 minutes away from the hotel) to many destinations around the lake (swiss side or french side) personally I recommend you visit Lausanne and Geneva. Please make sure to give your Eurail pass for a discount.
- Visit of the Chillon Castle, middle age castle on the banks of Lake Geneva, full of history, home to the famed Counts of Savoy for nearly 400 years: http://www.chillon.ch/en/
- Visit of the UNESCO Lavaux Vineyards for a romantic walk or tasting. It takes about 20 minutes to get there from the hotel. It’s a 02:30 hours tour and they usually do it on Sundays. Make sure to ask the hotel’s concierge desk availability.
- Montreux Jazz Festival: if you like jazz music, then you have to plan your honeymoon during June and July to be able to enjoy this amazing festival right in front of the lake.
Official Website: www.fairmont.com/montreux
Thank you my honeymooners I really hope you enjoyed this blog. Stay tuned for more amazing properties.
For more information please contact Sparks Events, we will be super happy to plan your dream honeymoon:
e. firstname.lastname@example.org / p. +502 2221-7154 (we are based in Guatemala City)