Ciao my honeymooners! How doesn’t love Italy? food, good looking people, fashion, history, etc. All together in the same country. I’ve been many times in Europe but never in Italy. To be honest it exceeded my expectations. I visited Florence, Milan, Venice and Rome (all touristic cities) but my time there was truly remarkable and I think for honeymooners this country should be a MUST! In this blog I will tell you my experience in on of the most amazing properties I have ever stayed at. The Westin Excelsior, pure glamour, great staff, location couldn’t be better and rooftop view speechless. Here a picture of me in Florence:
Quick facts about the country:
- Continent: Europe
- Type of country: Unitary Parliamentary Republic – part of the European Union
- Capital City: Rome
- Language: Italian
- Religion: 83% – Christianity
- Currency: Euro (1USD$ – 0.88 EUR aprox.)
- Visa required: NO (make sure to ask before traveling)
- Taxes: price quoted PLUS Tassa di soggiorno (% depends on the city)
Featured property of the week: The Westin Excelsior
Overall Sparks Honeymoon Property Rating: 10/10
Westin Hotels & Resorts part of the Marriott International Group previously Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (US brand)
Category: 5 Stars Luxury
Rooms: 149 Guest rooms, 15 Suites & 7 Penthouses
The location is perfect! I arrived to Leonardo Da Vinci airport in Rome and took a train directly to Florence. The ride was about 1.5 hours and it was a non stop train. (Be careful with the people who try to “help you” to buy train tickets, they will force you after to pay them for “their help, you should get your ticket from the oficial train machines or go directly to the main office). I arrived to Firenze Santa Maria Novella and took a taxi to the hotel (I could have walked to the hotel but I was so tired from the jet lag). The hotel is located in a beautiful typical European Plaza. It’s meters away from the beautiful Arno river and the city center.
Rates: ask for Sparks Honeymoons special rates
Charity Program: Unicef’s Check Out for Children – donation of USD$ 1.00 at check out.
Premium Deluxe Room with Arno view. This room may not be the most luxurious one but the view is just breathtaking. I think for honeymooners this room is perfect! From the classic elegant decorations, the colorful fabrics, the one of a kind antiques to the confort of the Heavenly King Bed. Westin won’t get it wrong believe me. It’s exactly what you need and more.
In Italy you have really good restaurants and trattorias in every corner. BUT the hotel does offer good dinning options as well specially breakfast at the Caminetto restaurant. The main one is the SE·STO on Arno which has the impressive view of Florence in the terrace and the other one is the ORVM bar.
Why we love this property for honeymooners:
- I think the best feature has to be it’s location. During my stay everything was walk distance, even city center. I think Florence is such a lovely city that can be visited in 1-3 days and having your hotel short distance away just makes it even easier to walk around.
- After a long flight all the way from Guatemala and train from Rome, just wanted to get to the hotel. Had no expectations but when I walked in the lobby everything was perfect! decorations, marble, paintings, smell and staff and general feeling of the hotel.
- The rooftop bar & restaurant has a breathtaking view of Florence.
- They offer a great spa in the sister hotel right across the street at The St. Regis Florence. The offer special packages and massages for honeymooners 🙂 Also they offer the in room massages.
- The breakfast is AMAZING! and it has sooo many options to choose from. Plus they have super friendly staff.
- Westin amenities such as:
- Heavenly Bed
- Heavenly Bath products
- Westin Workout (Fitness Center)
- Weekend Welcome program (late check out and late breakfast hours)
- Best months to visit: Try May, the weather was really really good. I only had to wear a light sweater and most of the days were sunny.
- At arrival and departure book a TAXI – METER, these taxis are usually less expensive than hotel shuttles.
- Make sure to give your SPG number at check in to enjoy benefits such as discounts in food and beverages, spa, free Internet access and room upgrades. If you are NOT part of Starwood’s loyalty program make sure to sign up IT’S FREE!
- For the sleeping beauties: breakfast serves until 11:00.
- Make sure to tell the hotel is your honeymoon they have amenities for you such as: fresh fruits or chocolate, Italian sparkling wine or dedicated cake 🙂
- If you don’t pack your fitness clothes and shoes, don’t worry! they have the New Balance Gear Lending program at only 5 Euros. They will give you clothe and shoes 🙂
What to do in Florence:
- Walk by the Arno river just because
- MUST! eat a gelato in any corner there’s a gelato store
- Visit a local trattoria
- Visit the David statue (it’s really really big!)
- Visit the Leonardo Da Vinci Museum (it’s very short and super interactive)
- Visit of course the Duomo plaza (here, if you decide to visit all the attractions, you will spend at lease 1 day, but it’s worth it)
- Picnic at the Pitti Palace, the place is huge and has amazing green garden. Just lovely to eat a panini and some white wine 🙂
Until next time my honeymooners! Arrivederci 🙂
For more information please contact Sparks Events, we will be super happy to plan your dream honeymoon:
e. firstname.lastname@example.org / p. +502 2221-7154 (we are based in Guatemala City)